Ten Percent Happier is a vision and values driven organization that operates around the principles of self management, wholeness, and evolutionary purpose. Everything we do is aligned with our collective vision of a future world where all people develop the inner resources to cultivate happiness. Our mission is to help people see more clearly what leads to happiness (and what doesn’t) by supporting the initiation and deepening of our customer’s meditation practice.
We work towards our vision of the world everyday through six shared values:
- Human First. We deeply care for each other, and we're unafraid of bringing this care into our work. We see, support, and celebrate each other as humans - flaws and all - with grace and compassion.
- Own Your Shit. We name our foibles allowing us to work with them, rather than being driven blindly by them.
- Say The Hard Thing. We owe it to each other to speak up. Hard feedback, delivered skillfully, helps our colleagues grow and is great for business.
- Don’t Side With Yourself. We have a deeply rooted tendency to cling to our views. We strive to escape our subjectivity and appreciate other perspectives.
- Build More Skateboards. Innovation requires rapid iteration and failure. World-changing ideas always start out woefully inadequate, even embarrassing. When we understand this, we stop criticizing the skateboards and start extending trust.
- For Us All. We welcome the innate value that comes from diverse experiences. We are invested in creating a collaborative and equitable work environment where each of us feels supported, valued, and recognized for our unique contribution to what we collectively produce, and where we each feel a sense of belonging.
We ask interested folks to carefully assess their excitement about our vision and values as they are central to mutual happiness in any role at Ten Percent.
Maintain and improve our backend technology and create frontend web apps to support product initiatives, data analysis, content management, and other business operations at an increasing scale.
What you will do
- Contribute to the core Rails app and frontend web apps across various product areas.
- Drive helpful conversations around technical issues and engineering practices, suggesting improvements and ideas as you see them.
- Develop new products and features. This will happen in 2 different ways:
- As a tech lead, working with product and design.
- Designing, reviewing, and coding as an individual contributor.
What you will bring to the team
- 2+ years of professional software development experience designing and developing full stack web applications, ideally using Ruby on Rails and React.
- An understanding of software design patterns and architecture.
- Designing and developing client-server applications.
- Implementing UI leveraging HTML/CSS to layout and style components based on a style guide and design components.
- Working with a relational database, ideally PostgreSQL.
- Developing and maintaining an API.
- Bonus: Working with various testing frameworks, such as Rspec and Capybara.
Who you will work with
Why we think you'll like working here
- We work in a brand new dog-friendly office in downtown Boston.
- You’ll become a part of a growing company that is changing people's lives for the better.
- We foster a culture that values clear and kind communication. We're passionate about reasonable work hours, flexibility in getting work done, and respecting and valuing the whole life you live.
- You will be welcomed into a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other's experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We’ll provide you with a competitive compensation package with equity.
- You’ll be eligible for our full benefits package including traditional benefits such as medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as non-traditional benefits such as a flexible paid time off policy, 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave, and $3000 growth & development stipend.
Our investment in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Ten Percent Happier seeks to help people become happier, more connected, and more resilient in the face of life’s challenges. We aim to cultivate a culture that is steeped in the values and practices that we promote through our products and media channels. We welcome the cultural enrichment that comes from diverse experiences in education, class background, age, culture, ethnicity, race, color, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, nation of origin, languages spoken, able-bodiedness, religion and beliefs. We are invested in creating a work environment that supports each of us in feeling valued and recognized for our unique contributions to what we collectively produce, and where we each feel a sense of belonging.
Ten Percent Happier is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of any state or federally protected classes.
Currently Ten Percent Happier does not sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa. Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.